Monday, November 30, 2015

Scratch Game Design

My scratch games.
Hi Everyone! Did you have a good Thanksgiving? I hope so. Last week in my G.T class we made our very first scratch game! Scratch is a website that you can use code to create games, animation, quizzes and many more! When I created this game I thought about what the viewers might enjoy. So I picked the unicorn because who doesn't love unicorns? and, the reason why I made the gamer collect tacos to win is because tacos are my favorite food so why not! While coding my unicorn sprite to chase the main sprite, I thought about how the game shouldn't be impossible to win but yet having a little bit of a challenge. By adding music to my game, I think that it draws my audience in more so they want to play the game more often! Same with my sound effects and my sprites talking. After you score 15 points you win! So while creating the celebration part of my game, I wanted to make the gamer feel special when they won. ( By adding a party background with celebration music!) Overall, most of my decisions made for the game were based around what the players might enjoy. Hope you enjoy the game!

In both of my games the sprites that the player controls is with the arrow keys. Although, for my operation freedom game I might use the mouse instead of arrow keys. Both of my games have "enemy" characters. They both have a "YOU WIN!" backdrop at the end. My Chase game plays music, but my platformer doesn't. (only at the very end) In both games you have to touch a certain object to earn points, and both can lose points if touched by something else. The platformer games backdrops is drawn by me, the opposite with the chase. On the other hand, I drew a sprite in both of those games. (The tacos and the angry blocks) In the platformer game, you can get game over and there is a game over backdrop (drawn by me) yet in my chase game there is not. The platformer game has multi levels, though my chase game doesn't. They both have variables, they both can fly or walk, both have characters not controlled by the player, and they both have the sprites say things.
Whew! That was a lot of comparing. Make sure to check me on scratch ---> kailesmiley

My best code was probably making multiple characters (in the platformer game) move at the same time, making them hide, or making my unicorn chase my pony at a certain pace. Both of my games I had struggles with because their were either glitching or just wouldn't work. I would get frustrated because the game was due and It wouldn't work, but it all ended up working at school. (which was really weird!) My chase and platformer games were very fun to make and it took a while but I got very used to scratch code. The coding was pretty simple and I'm definitely up to more challenging scratch games! Adding music to my chase game was really difficult. I was sure I was using the right code but for random reasons it would not work! (this is one of the times I got confused and frustrated) so I had to keep trying it over and over and over x 10 to get it work!



7 comments:

  1. Love the way you chose to draw some sprites yourself. However you need to score 18 points not 15 and it is a little easy. But loved the ending with the balloons and celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like how you have to get the tacos. but you should add a stop all button to it. its a great game

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked how your game was easy to win. Though it was too easy, you could double the speed by going to the unicorns script and go to move__ and make it faster, so if the speed was 3 you could make it 6. I also liked the tacos and the backdrop, when I won the game and saw the balloons I felt proud of winning your game!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your platformer is very fun and creative. You need to make it so that your game ends when your time runs out too though. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job on your game! I especially like those black squares with angry faces but the last level of yours was a little too hard due to the moving block. But you did really well on your game besides that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job on your platformer game. It was very creative. But, you need to make your game end when your time runs out. Overall, it's a good game.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your platformer was great! I loved the fact you went above the minimal requirement and made multiple levels, I however see that your sprite isn't centered and that causes it to do the weird turning thing, overall a good game with a bit of bugs, nice job on this Kaile.

    ReplyDelete